The Family Support Center of South Sound
is a nonprofit 501c3 multi-service agency located in historic downtown Olympia, Washington, developed in 1992 to provide families with coordinated supportive services in one centralized location. Our mission is “Working Together to Strengthen All Families
The Family Support Center seeks to build strong, healthy, self-sufficient families through a variety of collaborative programs and supportive services. Our goal is to reduce the impacts of family and child poverty, homelessness, child abuse & neglect, and family violence in our community by promoting protective factors for children and families. With the intention of providing a “one-stop-shop”, families have access to on-site supportive services and assistance navigating multiple services through programs such as:
- Parent & Child Education providing free evidence based parent education classes, family engagement activities, early learning, and on-site childcare for workshops and support groups.
- Homeless Family Services / Pear Blossom Place, is the coordinated entry point for ALL homeless families with children in Thurston County, offering the largest 24 hour emergency homeless family shelter in Thurston County, in addition to 7 permanent affordable housing units, rapid re-housing, and strength based case management services.
- Family Resource Services provides families with access to basic needs including: clothing, food, shelter, affordable healthcare, holiday assistance, transportation, basic need items, a kiosk connecting families to mainstream social services benefits, and more.
- Thurston County Family Justice Center is the second of its kind in Washington State, providing best practice collaborative and co-located community based and criminal justice services to domestic violence and sexual assault survivors. The Family Support Center is the lead community based program in the project, in collaboration with the Thurston County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office, Thurston County Clerk’s Office, and the Thurston County Sheriff’s Office.
- Supervised Visitation Program provides transportation and supervision of visitation between parents and their children who are residing in foster care or for families who have been ordered by the courts to have only supervised contact. Visitation, including planned age appropriate activities is also provided to siblings who are temporarily residing in separate foster homes.
The Family Support Center of South Sound serves over 2,200 local parents, children, and survivors of domestic violence/sexual assault annually, and could not do this work without the amazing generosity from donors like you! Thank you for your support!